lovely, aromatic, comforting soup...adapted from Sophie Conran's Soups and Stews and Onions by Brian Glover...
6 onions peeled and sliced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp rosemary and thyme
1.5 litres beef stock
salt and black pepper to taste
1/2 baguette cut into 2 cm slices
2 cloves garlic, peeled
- melt butter in a large pan, add the onions and stew for 20 min until soft. turn up the heat and add the garlic, stirring for 2 min
- add in the sugar and herbs. reduce the heat and simmer for 45min-1 hour, stirring occasionally until the onions are nice and caramelized.
- bring the stock to boil in another pan, gradually pour into the onions. season with salt and pepper. simmer for another 10-20 min
- meanwhile preheat the oven to 150 degree celcius. place the slices of bread on a greased baking tray and bake for 15 min. rub the bread with the cut surface of garlic, then sprinkle with cheese over the slices.
- float the coutes on the soup the grill until the cheese melts.
- serve immediately