not so nicely done but tastes good..!!! presenting my fat croissant....
recipe from mamafami.
step by step photo from mamafami's fotopage
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
1 egg yolk
3/4 cup lukewarm water
3/4 cup lukewarm milk
1 teaspoon instant dried yeast
250 g butter ~ divided into 3 portions
1. Sift flour, add sugar, salt, egg yolk and instant dried yeast into a mixer. On the mixer and pour lukewarm water and lukewarm milk, bit by bit (STOP if you get a dough- like consistency). Knead till a soft and elastic dough is formed. Cover and leave in a warm place for 2 - 3 hours to allow the dough to rise. . Punch down the dough and divide into 4 portions. If you prefer your croissants to be big, then divide to less number of portions. I made half the recipe so I divided into 2 portions.
2. Knead lightly and roll out into a rectangle.
3. Dot or grate 1/3 of the butter over the top 2/3 of the pastry, leaving a border.
4. Fold the bottom third of the pastry over the middle third and...
5. ...the top third over that. Press the edges together. Turn the dough around (clockwise) and then roll out to the original size. Repeat this folding and rolling process twice more with teh remaining butter, then once without any butter. Chill for 30 minutes before each rolling.
6. Roll each portion into a large rectangle.
7. Cut into 4 triangles.
8. Make a slit at both sides of the triangle.
9. Roll up each, starting from one corner to the opposite corner with both hands.
10. Seal the point of the triangle with a little beaten egg yolk.
11. Curve each croissants into a crescent shape.
12. Arrange on a baking tray.
13. Brush with beaten egg yolk. Leave to rise in a warm place for 15 - 20 minutes.
14.Preheat the oven to 200 C. Bake the croissants for 5 minutes then reduce heat to 180 C and bake for a further 15 - 20 minutes